Coin Challenge - Compass
This coin challenge shows a compass. From school days you remember a compass can draw circles. It can also help
measure. And, carpenters use a compass to help them recreate detailed edges and designs.
But, what coin includes this compass? Is it silver, gold or another metal? Did the coin circulate or
is it a commemorative coin? What is the denomination - a penny, nickel, dime, quarter, half dollar, dollar or
another coin from early coinage? Is the design from the obverse or reverse of the coin? (Scroll down for
These hints first appeared on the atlcoin blog on November 17:
- One purpose of the device represented by the image is to make circles
- The coin was one of many different coins produced in this year
- All of the coins for this year – except one – were approved by the 74th Congress
To continue the fun, we added more hints on the blog on November 29:
- The above device is associated with land obtained from the Seneca and Mohawk Indians
- The land was part of the Connecticut Western Reserve
- The land contained roughly 3.3 million acres initially
What coin contains the image?
Click on the Coin Challenge
- Compass Answer if you are ready to verify your choice for the coin!